Mishichistim: Can They Be Changed?


Mishichistim: Can They Be Changed?


By Lubobnomore.Blogspot.com

Earlier this week I talked about the current messianic state of Chabad-Lubavitch and how I hold The Rebbe accountable. Prior to the 1994 death of The Rebbe, the charismatic leader of the Hasidic sect Chabad-Lubavitch, many member of the movement believed he was the not-yet-revealed long-awaited messiah. For many, his death didn't change a thing. These people are known as "Mishichists." If he was the messiah when he was alive he could still be the messiah now. A little thing like death never stopped God before.Exactly what percentage of Chabad believes The Rebbe is coming back is unclear.


Also, exactly what people believe is also up for debate. I have heard people say "he never died." Others say "he died, but only in body," and that "his soul is still here with us." Some I've spoken with simply say "I don't know what happened that day but all I know is The Rebbe would never leave us." The one thing they all have in common is that they can't let go.It makes me a little sad.


Chabad was so vibrant, evolving and growing when The Rebbe was alive. It is bigger in numbers now, but the sect doesn't really change focus. The movement just seems to do what it always did. Back in its heyday, The Rebbe could give an order today and tomorrow you would find yourself asking strangers to try a Jewish ritual in the back of a Winnebago.But I digress.every word, and then years of believing he was the unrevealed-After all the years of hanging on The Rebbe's Moshiach I am convinced that you can not change these people's minds. People only change if they want to change.


All kidding aside, I honestly think it would take a order from The Rebbe, in person, to abuse them of the notion that he will rise from the grave. (A tape of The Rebbe saying as much at a previous event wouldn't do. It would be too easy to explain away.)I don't think the attitudes of the mishichistim can be changed from within. After all, they have faith.

Comments

Lubab No More said…
OttawaBochur,
Thanks for linking me. BTW, the text you posted from my site got a little garbled. I've updated it at my site here Mishichistim: Can They Be Changed
Feel free to update.
TLM,
LNM