Man Caught Trying to Sell Stolen Shtreimel With Name Inside
Oy vey, what a dumb crook. A thief’s plans to sell a chossid’s stolen shtreimel hat backfired when he failed to notice that the owner’s name and phone number were marked inside, police said.Robert Giuff, 38, tried to sell the shtreimel to a hat maker for $350 on Sunday after he stole it out of owner Moishe Horowitz’s car in Bushwick, Brooklyn, police said.
The shtreimel was worth about $2,200.
But the dealer, spotting the phone number inside, told the would-be seller that he needed to call an expert — and instead called the owner.
“I got a call from the hat store,” said Horowitz, 36, who immediately called the cops. “So I ran over right away. I felt very relieved.”
Horowitz said he had already made an appointment at another hat store to buy a new one.
Giuff pleaded not guilty to grand larceny yesterday. Through his lawyer, he said he had found the hat on a pile of garbage.
He was held on $7,500 bail.
Comments